A Montana State employee was arrested Thursday afternoon after being accused of making threats that led to a brief lockdown at the university.

The suspect was arrested in the Norm Asbjornson Building off Seventh Avenue and Grant Street shortly after 2 p.m. He was taken to the Gallatin County Detention Center.

Police were still interviewing the man Thursday evening and no charges had been filed as of deadline. His name has not been released.

Frank Parrish, MSU police chief, said the man was an MSU staff member who was about to be fired. He was not a professor.

Parrish said the police received a tip that the suspect made threats that he was ready to “end it all,” and that all of his guns were loaded and he was ready to take out anyone with him. Police confirmed the man owned two shotguns and a rifle but did not find guns with the suspect. Police hadn’t recovered the guns as of 5 p.m.

Parrish said police also found a social media post in which the suspect said, “all I can say right now is (expletive) this life I’m ready to check out.”

Parrish said he knew the man was on campus because he bought a parking permit 20 minutes before the threats were reported. He said he ordered the shelter-in-place when law enforcement was unable to find the man.

“We knew that he was on campus and we knew that he was already agitated based on things that had been reported to us,” Parrish said.

Montana State University was under a “shelter-in-place” order from shortly after noon to about 2:15 p.m. Thursday afternoon. University police directed people to seek shelter inside a room with a locked door and close their windows and blinds.

Around 2:13 p.m., a text alert told people “the situation is all clear” and that they could “resume normal activities.”

Support quality local journalism. Become a subscriber.

Subscribers get full, survey-free access to the Bozeman Daily Chronicle's award-winning coverage both on our website and in our e-edition, a digital replica of the print edition.