Support Local Journalism

Subscribe

Kevin McGuire came to Bozeman for an education.

"I wanted to go to college," at Montana State University, McGuire, 22, said this past week during an interview. "I've always wanted to move to Montana."

The California native arrived last fall with two goals: study civil engineering at MSU and recruit members for the National Alliance, a West Virginia-based group seeking a whites-only, non-Jewish society.

"That's all I want," McGuire said.

McGuire brought the alliance to Bozeman. He is responsible for racist fliers distributed in Bozeman, Belgrade, Manhattan, Three Forks and Livingston. He organized the alliance's 13-person opposition to a diversity rally that drew more than 1,000 people to downtown Bozeman in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr.

People have voiced their objections to his agenda through the rally, letters to the editor and an "All Are Welcome Here" campaign.

"It doesn't equate with us to feel any kind of hatred," said Connie Boucher, a Manhattan resident who found alliance fliers while walking her daughter to preschool last week. "This is a global society."

Despite the opposition, McGuire remains focused on his mission.

"We are America's foremost organization working for the long-term interest of men and women of European descent," he said firmly. "We're an educational organization trying to teach people about their heritage and European roots … so people feel a responsibility to uphold what they've inherited."

Inheritance

McGuire was raised in northern California. His upbringing was "normal," his parents "have professional jobs and college degrees" and he has "several" siblings with whom he shares Irish, English and German ancestry, he said.

"My grandma used to take me to Scottish games and Irish festivals and that gave me a deep sense of who I am and my racial identity," he said, wearing a green button-down shirt open at the collar and cuffs with black Carhartt jeans and black boots with waffle soles.

He has fair, clear skin, dark hair clipped close to the scalp and big eyes that reflected the green in his shirt. He was guarded about his personal life, but articulated his beliefs politely and confidently.

"It's not really that I have something against (other races), I just really like my own people," he said.

His world views are not his parents' and he cannot pinpoint when they solidified. But several years ago he started listening to "American Dissident Voices," the alliance radio program.

"I decided to join because of that," he said.

What he heard on the radio cemented his desire to live in a white-only society, in a "culture that's based on European ideals," he said.

Kids today grow up feeling like they're "individuals in a cosmopolitan sea," he said. "We believe each individual race should have the right for its own determination."

That is impossible now, he said, because he believes Jews control the media and the government.

In his mind, the movement toward the alliance's goals should start with new immigration laws.

"Immigration from Mexico is the reason people are moving here," from California, he said. "It's not going to be long before Montana is just as bad as California if we don't do something now."

And as for religious and racial minorities in the long run: "We're hoping they would want to leave on their own accord, so they can celebrate their own cultures, customs and traditions," he said.

Activism

McGuire made his activism public while attending Santa Rosa Junior College, where he earned an associate's degree in electronic technology. He wrote an anti-Semitic opinion piece for a student newspaper that outraged Jews and others.

He smiled mischievously at the memory.

McGuire lived in Helena before Bozeman and his local activism started last June with nighttime, anonymous distribution of fliers in south Bozeman. Other drops followed around the valley.

In November, McGuire stepped up as the alliance's spokesman at a Bozeman City Commission meeting, putting a face on the group for the first time.

The literature drops will continue, he said.

"It's not a way to hide, it's just a way to get out thousands of leaflets in a short amount of time," he said.

He knows not everyone shares his views, but resents being called a Nazi or even a white supremacist.

"It makes me feel like they don't actually understand what I stand for," he said. "Diversity is a good thing and everybody is unique and different. But we're constantly being forced to mix and integrate. (White people) have lost the star in the sky that used to guide their direction and purpose in life."

McGuire said he is not violent but admits being a fan of firearms; even his e-mail address makes a reference to guns.

"I think guns are important not necessarily for hunting purposes … but to protect yourself and your property and to keep the government in check," he said.

And he said that, despite the opposition, he believes many people agree with him and are afraid to speak up.

"The average person likes what we're doing," he said, adding that he recently handed out "hundreds" of fliers at a gun show. "I don't really think there's that many people opposed to us."

But people receiving fliers disagree.

"I believe he is wrong," Boucher said. "I immediately felt enraged," upon finding the leaflet.

She has a message of her own.

"I want to say people need to embrace diversity, we have no reason to be afraid," she said.

Tolerance

McGuire said he will continue expressing his views and he isn't planning to leave Bozeman soon. Outside of his alliance work, he does things many Bozeman residents do. He works construction, runs, hikes and reads. He wants an education, career and a family.

But his college plans are uncertain now.

He was arrested Jan. 19 at MSU for handing out alliance literature after a Martin Luther King, Jr. Day celebration.

"We have a no solicitation policy on campus," said MSU Assistant Police Chief Donna LaRue. "We don't allow anybody to hand out leaflets or pamphlets without approval."

McGuire was warned for trespassing and told not to return to campus; he would have to go through an appeals process to enroll as a student, LaRue said.

"It proves that freedom of speech only applies to the politically correct people," McGuire said.

Although not everyone agrees with his message, some respect his right to express it.

"We live in a democracy," said Henrietta Mann, a retired Native American studies professor who promotes racial tolerance.

"There is freedom of expression on both sides," she said. "I think that is the beauty of living in the United States of America, that there are those freedoms enshrined in the Constitution that include everyone."

Support Local Journalism

To see what else is happening in Gallatin County subscribe to the online paper.