Those displaced by a large fire in Ennis over the weekend are working to pick up the pieces of their lives.

Finn Vandenbergh is raising money for his mom, Robyn Oldham, who lost nearly everything, including important family keepsakes. Oldham’s camper caught fire at about 4 a.m., Saturday in the 600 block of Madison Avenue. The flames then spread to her mobile home, vehicle and shed, as well as to her neighbor’s mobile home.

No one was hurt, but some pets have minor injuries.

Vandenbergh launched a GoFundMe campaign for Oldham to cover the cost of essentials like food, clothing and bedding. Vandenbergh is also seeking volunteers to help clean up the area, where the remains of the two mobile homes stand amidst charred propane tanks and blackened fence pieces.

“My family is struggling to keep it together and to keep our heads up,” Vandenbergh wrote on his fundraising page.

Oldham’s neighbors, Jen and Dan Scholler, also lost their possessions when the fire reached their mobile home. They are now staying with their relative, Danielle Rudzinski, who lives behind them and are uncertain about their future.

Rudzinski has started an emergency fund for them at Madison Valley Bank. Those interested in donating can contact the bank.

“Any kind of support is helpful,” Rudzinski said. “We lost our house when we were kids, so we know what it’s like to lose everything. But it could have been worse. I could have lost my house too, and we still have my mom’s photo albums.”

Dan woke up early Saturday morning to the smell of smoke. When he saw flames through his window, he ran to get his daughter, Jen, and called 911.

The Madison Valley Rural Fire Department, Virginia City Fire Department, Ennis Volunteer Ambulance Service and Madison County Sheriff’s Office responded to his call and spent about three hours fighting the fire. Propane tanks near the homes were involved in the blaze, making it difficult to extinguish, according to the Madison Valley Rural Fire Department.

The American Red Cross office in Bozeman also went to Ennis on Saturday to help those affected. The organization assisted five people in finding a place to stay and getting food and clothing, said Matt Ochsner, regional communications director. The Red Cross is still working with those affected, including by helping replace prescriptions and medical devices lost in the fire.

The Schollers’ dog and cat suffered from smoke inhalation. First responders gave them oxygen and the family later took the dog to a veterinarian, Rudzinski said. Both pets are recovering.

“Everything went up really fast,” she said. “The fire was raging. It was so loud that I couldn’t believe it.”

The fire is under investigation, but Joe Brummell, deputy director of emergency management for Madison County, said the cause doesn’t appear criminal.

Perrin Stein can be reached at pstein@dailychronicle.com or at 582-2648.

Support quality local journalism. Become a subscriber.

Subscribers get full, survey-free access to the Bozeman Daily Chronicle's award-winning coverage both on our website and in our e-edition, a digital replica of the print edition.