Riley Alexander Woodhouse

Riley Alexander Woodhouse leaves the podium after pleading not guilty on Monday in Gallatin County District Court.

A Bozeman man pleaded not guilty Monday to charges that accuse him of shooting one man in the chest and another in the leg after a fight behind downtown bars.

Riley Alexander Woodhouse, 21, is charged with attempted deliberate homicide and assault with a weapon, both felonies. He appeared in Gallatin County District Court before Judge Rienne McElyea.

Woodhouse has been held on $500,000 bail at the Gallatin County jail since Oct. 17.

In October, officers responded to gunshots in a parking lot north of Main Street behind the Bozeman Hotel. The officers found two men who had been shot and a gun, according to charging documents.

The victims were treated for non-life-threatening injuries at Bozeman Health Deaconess Hospital.

A witness told a detective that Woodhouse and two others were arguing with three other people as they walked away from Bar IX and toward the parking lot behind the Pour House. The witness said he broke up a small fight between them and heard a man say he had a broken jaw and was coming back with “guns.”

Woodhouse and two others returned to the parking lot with weapons, court documents allege. The witness said Woodhouse had a gun in each hand. Police said in charging documents that the witness heard four gunshots and saw Woodhouse and two other men run north.

Court documents didn’t indicate whether the two injured men had weapons.

Police said in charging documents that one man who had been shot corroborated the witness’ story. He told an officer that Woodhouse shot him and the other man while standing 5 feet away.

The man told police he was fighting because Woodhouse and his friends were insulting him and the other injured man, according to charging documents.

Hours later, Woodhouse was arrested and taken to the Gallatin County jail to be questioned.

Police said in charging documents that Woodhouse admitted he shot the two men. He told officers that his friends had a bat and a machete when they confronted the men.

Woodhouse said his girlfriend picked him up after the incident and took him to her apartment. He left a gun and a note explaining at her home explaining what he did.

If convicted, Woodhouse could face up to 130 years in prison and up to a $50,000 fine.

Freddy Monares can be reached at or at 406-582-2630.

Support quality local journalism. Become a subscriber.

Subscribers get full, survey-free access to the Bozeman Daily Chronicle's award-winning coverage both on our website and in our e-edition, a digital replica of the print edition.