No one was injured when a cabin burned to the ground in a blaze east of Bozeman on Monday afternoon.

According to the Fort Ellis Fire Department, firefighters from multiple agencies responded to a fire south of Interstate 90 in the Trail Creek area at about 12:40 p.m.

The first responders found that a small, occupied cabin had burned to the ground.

The residents lost all of their personal belongings inside of the cabin.

The cause of the fire is unknown and under investigation.

In addition to Fort Ellis, personnel from Bozeman, Rae/Sourdough, Central Valley and Amsterdam fire departments responded to the fire.

Fort Ellis Fire Chief Mike Cech reminded residents to be careful during the holiday season. There is an increase in residential fires this time of year due to chimney fires, extension cords, heaters, Christmas trees, deep-fat broilers and unsupervised candles, Cech said.

Whitney Bermes can be reached at wbermes@dailychronicle.com or 582-2648. Follow her on Twitter at @wabermes.

The Bozeman Daily Chronicle is the newspaper of record for southwest Montana.

Support quality local journalism. Become a subscriber.

Subscribers get full, survey-free access to the Bozeman Daily Chronicle's award-winning coverage both on our website and in our e-edition, a digital replica of the print edition.