Support Local Journalism

Subscribe

A retired Bozeman High School teacher died on a cross-country ski trail east of Bozeman Health Deaconess Hospital on Sunday morning, according to a news release.

Steve Schwab, 66, of Belgrade, had a heart attack while on the trail. Emergency responders were unable to save him.

A cross-country skier saw a woman performing CPR on Schwab at about 11 a.m. and called 911. The Bozeman Fire Department and Bozeman Police Department responded but were unable to reach Schwab with an ambulance, the news release said. They called Gallatin County Search and Rescue, which used snowmobiles and a tracked four-wheeler to reach Schwab.

Schwab was a teacher at Bozeman High who retired in 2015 after 17 years there. He taught Spanish and English and coached track.

He loved to travel and encouraged his students to seek experiences outside Bozeman, according to an interview with the Hawk Tawk, the Bozeman High student newspaper, at the time he retired.

Schwab also enjoyed the myriad outdoor recreation opportunities in Bozeman.

He was an avid musician and songwriter, performing in Steve Squared +, a Bozeman based-trio with Steve Reida and Bruce Mickelson. The group has performed at dozens of events in the area over the last several years.

Support Local Journalism

To see what else is happening in Gallatin County subscribe to the online paper.

Perrin Stein can be reached at pstein@dailychronicle.com or at 582-2648.

Support quality local journalism. Become a subscriber.

Subscribers get full, survey-free access to the Bozeman Daily Chronicle's award-winning coverage both on our website and in our e-edition, a digital replica of the print edition.