Support Local Journalism


Larry Moore's co conspirator in the 1995 failed bombing of the warden's office at Montana State Prison was convicted in U.S. District Court Wednesday.

Helena jurors found Greg Carpenter, 35, guilty of five charges for manufacturing the bomb and planting it near Warden Mike Mahoney's office Jan. 17, 1995.

Moore avoided prosecution by agreeing to lead police to the body of former Gallatin County sheriff's deputy and West Yellowstone businessman Brad Brisbin, who he murdered in 1990. He also led them to the murder weapon.

Moore is currently serving the remainder of his 60 year sentence in an Oregon prison, according to one of his attorneys, Herman Watson. Moore requested the move after the bombing attempt, alleging that guards were mistreating him by placing him in lock down.

Previously sentenced to 34 years in prison for a rape conviction in Cascade County, two counts of burglary and three counts of escape, Carpenter may now receive four 10 year sentences for bomb possession, bomb manufacture, bomb conspiracy and felon possessing a bomb. He may get an additional 20 years for attempting to destroy an institution by means of explosion. He is scheduled for sentencing before U.S. District Judge Charles Lovell Feb. 7.

U.S. Attorney Kris McLean said Wednesday the trial shed light on Moore's motives for participating in the conspiracy.

Carpenter told investigators he and Moore decided to make the bomb and place it in the warden's office so they could later tip off authorities about the explosion and become heroes, McLean said. Moore later corroborated Carpenter's story.

The two had hoped they would be rewarded with early parole or preferential prison treatment.

"It would not be uncharacteristic of Larry Moore to want to get involved in something like that," Watson, said. Watson represented Moore in the bombing briefly, before Moore's charges were dropped.

McLean said former warden Mickey Gamble's firing may have peaked Moore's interest.

"This happened after Mickey Gamble was fired," McLean said. "Moore's life was pretty easy before then, but when Gamble left, he was reclassified and put in a more secure area. Carpenter said Moore wanted his privileges back."

Moore told authorities Carpenter, his cell mate, cooked up the bombing plot, according to court documents.

The two planted match heads and the ringer from an alarm clock in another cell. The items were later identified as bomb materials. The bomb consisted of an alarm clock, a nine volt battery, some wiring and a tooth paste tube stuffed with match heads.

Moore told investigators the bomb was hidden under the liner of their cell garbage can.

On Jan. 17, 1995 Carpenter planted the bomb above some ceiling tiles in a room adjacent to the warden's office. The two may have succeeded in exploding the bomb at 2 p.m. as the prison guards changed shift, McLean said, but Carpenter noticed that one of the ceiling tiles he disturbed was ajar and climbed on top of some furniture to fix it. When he did, a janitor passing by spotted him and told authorities.

Support Local Journalism

To see what else is happening in Gallatin County subscribe to the online paper.

Recommended for you